Saturday, July 17, 2010

The way I like speakers these days

Part II - vintage Magnavox on open baffle on top of closed box woofer

One day I came across amazingly sounding 6x9" Magnavox mid range driver. I always liked the sound of this little oval speaker for amazing detail, speed and sensitivity. When compared side by side, other midranges were lacking the richness of tone and balance. Especially the balance is great, it is free of any breakup modes. I believe its the oval shape which does that. So I put this midrange on open baffle and accompanied it with the best sounding tweeter I could find. Surprisingly it is vintage Bose paper cone tweeter. As much as I hate Bose for what they have done to audio these days, this tweeter came from big old thee-way floorstanding speakers and sounds great. It matches Magnavoxes high sensitivity. I placed these on top of closed box with 15" woofers per side. The boxes came from vintage Grundig speakers. System is biamped with tube amp powering the open box panel and solid state for woofers. I have always noticed big improvement in bi-amplification, because it allows low power SE tube amps to shine.