Monday, July 6, 2020

MTM with Vifa 13WH-00-08 and AMT tweeter

I got some old Vifa midwoofers back from a friend, and after all those years they still perform admirably. Its hard to find such a well behaving midrange with almost no breakups. Look at the fr response, it needs no crossover. 

Such great midrange requires good tweeter, so I added small Dayton AMT tweeter. I prefer smaller tweeter for better of axis response. I made small closed boxes with heavily braced foam board. Here are some pics and some measurements. I experimented with value of the capacitor for the tweeter, and after some initial measurements spotted small narrowing of the of axis response with just 3.3 uF cap (pictured), so I increased it to 4.5 uF final. Resulting speaker is the most neutral sounding speaker I made. They are precise, dynamic, yet true to the signal...adding nothing of its own. These speakers are now used in guest room to evaluate new amplifiers I build for the sound quality. So revealing and yet neutral these speakers are. Highly recommended.